POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tribute to Myrna Loy : Tribute to Myrna Loy Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Tribute to Myrna Loy
From: Ive
Date: 22 Apr 2008 20:34:18
Message: <480e840a@news.povray.org>
before Myrna did become famous with the "Thin Man" movies
she appeared quite often as the "sinister Asian lady" in
b-pictures - probably most well known from this period:
"The Mask of Fu Manchu" from 1932.

A few years ago, while reading Thomas Pynchon's Vineland -
where one of the main characters starts to sing a song
about "...lookin' for that Myrna Loy" - I coincidently
found at a flee market an old signed picture card of her.
So I got interested in her work and carrier and now,
just for fun, have tried to create a Hollywood glamor shot
in the style of the early 30ies, featuring Myrna Loy...

The figure is Vicky 4.1 from DAZ. But as it was not possible
to morph her face into something that does come close to
Myrna's face (e.g. her nose was surprisingly big) I had to
do it the hard way and created my own "Myrna-Face-Morph"
with Blender by using all images of her that I could find as
reference.
The 30ies hairstyle was also a problem. As I am usually lazy,
I just wanted to buy one from DAZ or Renderosity, but did not
find any that looked the way I wanted. So I was finally forced
to created some "trans mapped" hair by myself. It looks not
very convincing in closeups but it is not so bad for a first
try. The flower is made with XFrog and PoseRay was used for
all the mesh conversion. The old style movie camera is just
some quick CSG.
The dragon is hand painted and imported with a flatbed scanner
into Photoshop where the image got its final touch.
Rendered with POV-Ray beta 25 using 7 lightsources (and the
new area_illumination feature does not only help in realistic
lighting, it also prevents mesh artefact's - thanks Warp).

Comments of course welcome and BTW the "Technicolor" version
is currently rendering.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'myrna.jpg' (110 KB)